On

Some Interesting Coffee Statistics

Posted by Layla Brooks

Coffee

Being the number one hot beverage in the world, coffee is enjoyed by more and more people every year. If coffee sale trends in 2018 are any indication, 2019 should be an even more successful year for the coffee industry. Let’s take a look at some interesting statistics from the coffee industry and see just how successful the world’s favourite beverage is:

Interesting Coffee Statistics

Specialty coffee sales are increasing by 20% per year and account for nearly 8% of the world’s coffee market.

Among coffee drinkers in the US and the UK, the average consumption is just over 3 cups per day.

50% of the UK population, equivalent to 32 million Brits, drink espresso, cappuccino, latte or iced/cold coffees.

Independent UK coffee shops equal £6 billion in annual sales.

Currently, there are approximately 6,000 coffee shops throughout the UK.

The average drive-thru coffee shop in the UK sells approximately 200 cups of espresso and coffee based drinks per day.

The average price for an espresso based drink in the UK is £5 and the average price for brewed coffee is £3.

Men and women consume the same amount of coffee, with each drinking an average of 1.6 cups per day.

More than 65% of all coffee in the UK is consumed during breakfast hours, with 30% throughout the day between meals.

35% of UK coffee drinkers prefer their coffee black, while 65% prefer to add cream and/or sugar.

Compostable coffee pods and organic coffee capsules are growing in popularity with 81% of coffee drinkers still using the official coffee pods from manufacturers and the other 19% choosing compostable coffee pods or organic coffee capsules. This figure is up from last year and has doubled from the previous year showing that today’s coffee drinkers are becoming more mindful when it comes to their coffee.

People in the UK drink 70 million cups of coffee per day, compared to only 165 million cups of tea.

Lattes were the most popular coffee product purchased in the UK, with more than 930 million sold last year.

The UK imports in excess of £1 Billion worth of coffee per year.

Contact Novell Coffee Trade

To learn more about the newest trends in coffee and café service and how some companies are recycling coffee grounds, contact Novell Coffee Trade and shop a wide selection of specialty coffees today!

If you enjoyed this article, please feel free to share it on your favourite social media sites.